Tokugawa Shogunate intendant in charge of the Nirayama district casted cannon in a hurried attempt to defend Edo after Perry's visit. The Nirayama Reverberatory Furnaces consist of two twin structures enclosed by fire resistant bricks on a stone base. Construction in Nirayama began in 1854. The two south furnaces were completed in 1855 and the two north furnaces completed in 1857. The facility, located in the centre of a cannon manufactory, was operational in 1857 and lasted until 1864. It is one of a series of reverberatory furnaces built across Japan during the 1850s in an attempt to radically increase cannon production for national defence.
|Designation:||National historic site
Locally Designated River
Landscape Planning Area
|Address:||268 Narutaki, Naka, Izunokuni city, Shizuoka|
|Opening time :||9:00-16:30|
|Close :||Dec 31, Jan 1|